Thursday, May 19, 2011

New Friends

After much deliberation this morning, the boys and I decided to head to the park. They'd been good all morning long, which is a rarity around here, so they deserved to go. Usually we just go the park out back or the one in downtown, but I figured they could use some American (and English) companions. I love the German parks nearby since they're nearby and I want my children to learn German and be open to other cultures, but I know they also get frustrated trying to play with other children when there's that disconnect because of the language differences.



Once we got on base, I decided to head to a different park than the usual one. I'm not sure why I decided this particular park was better than the other, but I did. We pulled in, I unbuckled Drake, and he took off as soon as his feet hit the pavement. The great thing was that there were only about six kids at the park, and all but one were Drake's age. He had a blast playing with the other children, and they were having real actual conversations. I loved this since I've been trying to get Drake to interact more and speak more.


 
What's even better is that I met someone! She and I got to talking about the kids, preschool, Germany, just anything and everything! It turns out we're on the same page about a lot of things, she's my age, and she has a kid Drake's age! I can't stop writing with exclamation points that's how excited I am!

I'm so lonely over here in terms of female companionship. All of my friends are back in the states and while I've met one or two awesome girls over here in Germany they either live far away or they either don't have kids or their kids are all grown. I honestly am so excited about having a friend over here. I know that may sound lame, but it's a bit tough when everyone over here speaks a different language and you don't live on base. So with that, I bid you adieu  auf wiedersehen and hope you have as great a day that's as full of promise as I had.

1 comment :

  1. That's awesome! I'm so happy for you. Being lonely for English girl time SUCKS! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...