Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - the Dad version

So I'm not a dad, but I've had experiences with one. I lived with my parents til I was eighteen, and I've been living with my hubby for almost eight years now, three of which he's been a daddy to our little boys. While he hasn't had many opportunities to use the little nuggets of wisdom that most fathers pass on to their children yet, I was inspired by my free printable father's day cards which feature these epithets. Here's a few of my favorites.

10. If you keep making that face, it'll get stuck that way! This always fascinated and scared me growing up. I always wanted to do an experiment to see if this was true, but the fear of being perpetually frozen in a goofy grin prevented me from following through.


Link makes some of the strangest faces
 9. You make a better door than a window! This gem was primarily used for when either of us kids accidentally stood in front of the tv set. I always thought it sounded so funny and I wanted to have a witty comeback, like, "Yeah? Well you make a better couch potato!" ...I wish I was witty.

8. If you don't knock it off, I'm turning this car around. Always a roadtrip favorite. Often preceded by, "Are we there yet?"

7. I don't care who started it, I'll end it. This was an instant disagreement-ender. No matter who was in the wrong (we both were) or the right (we both were), we stopped the argument right then and there. I like this threat because it's pretty vague but incredibly effective. Might have to try it out on the boys some day.

6. If they jumped off a bridge, would you too? Or a cliff? Or the Empire State building? Which one did your father use?


We might be using this one often since they like to do everything together
5. A little dirt never hurt anyone. We live by this rule around here. Both boys love are obsessed with playing in the dirt, much to my dismay. I really need to buy them a sandbox...
4. Shut the door. Were you raised in a barn? Or, Are you trying to heat the whole outside? My father liked to mix it up and use both. I always thought the barn one was kinda funny since he obviously knew I wasn't raised in a barn, but under his roof and his rules!

3. If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something to cry about. I always hated this one growing up. It only made me cry harder, imagining what I could be crying about. I don't think we'll use this one on our kids. Here's Drake, hiding from the camera, but it passes as him crying, right?

2. Go ask your mother. The old standby. Used for everything from "I'm-too-tired-to-care" to a genuine "I-don't-know."

and my favorite:
1. No matter what, you can always come home. I love you. Dads are great. They often know just how to temper their strictness with the sweetest love and caring. My dad is a master at this.


Also, you can download my free father's day card by going HERE

Linking up to http://www.ohamanda.com/.

2 comments :

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...